Another episode where we cross the river of reason and address some criticism and generally lose our minds. As if that weren’t enough, we tease you with some surprises coming in episode five!
The question of the week is: If you were to go one on one with a Left For Dead type of zombie, would you rather have a samurai sword or a Scottish dirk? Feel free to email your answers to skiffyandfanty [at] gmail [dot] com or send us a voicemail at 206-203-1686!
On a side note: at around the one hour and one minute mark, does anyone else get the feeling that we sound somewhat like a certain skit from Saturday Night Live? You know, back when the show was good and Alec Baldwin played a character on a certain radio show…
We hope you enjoy the episode! Here goes (the show notes are below):Episode Four — Download (MP3)
Intro Discussion (0:00 – 14:03):
News (14:04 – 31:43):
- Lightspeed Magazine is live!
- Redstone Science Fiction is live!
- Patrick Stewart has been knighted.
- The 2010 Young Writers Award at Young Writers Online
- Wil Wheaton/John Scalzi/Subterranean Press Fan Fiction Contest (the videos for context and the big reveal are here)
- Guillermo Del Toro steps down as director of The Hobbit.
- Man infects himself with a virus.
- Video games may reduce crime rate.
The Main Event A (31:44 – 54:44):
- Where it all Started (Flogging Babel)
- Girlie Jones’ post about us (her original post is here)
- Strange Dave’s take.
The Main Event B (54:45 – 1:02:29):
- The Realms of Fantasy Letter
- The Dreaded Sword’s criticism of Realms of Fantasy’s recent call for help.
- Nick Mamatas offers some possible alternatives to the letter.
- The clarification letter from Realms of Fantasy.
- Support Realms of Fantasy by subscribing ($20 for one year; $35 for two!)
- And there’s also Interzone (one of the best science fiction magazines ever)
The End (1:02:30 – 1:11:23)
That’s all, folks!