May is absolutely filled to the brim with SFT. With five short stories, seven novels/collections, interviews, reviews, and more, you’ll never be at a loss for something to read. Rachel also talks about the SFT panel at Wiscon (the annual feminist science fiction convention in Madison, Wisconsin) and what she’s been reading and translating. And a huge congratulations to Rodrigo Fresan and Will Vanderhyden for winning the 2018 Best Translated Book Award for The Invented Part (Open Letter)!
With new stories and books coming to our attention each week, make sure to check the SFT website for updates. Enjoy, and keep reading!
- Transcript of Episode 5 here
- SFT at Wiscon 42
- SFT Out in May
- “Farewell, Doraemon” by A Que, translated from the Chinese by Emily Jin and Ken Liu (Clarkesworld Magazine, May 1)
- “Night-Journey” of the Dragon Horse” by Xia Jia, translated from the Chinese by Ken Liu (Lightspeed, May 10) reprint
- “Impress Me, Then We’ll Talk About the Money” by Tatiana Ivanova, translated from the Russian by Alex Shvartsman (Future Science Fiction Digest, May 15)
- “Universal Cigarettes” by Teng Ye, translated from the Chinese by Yuzhi Yang (Future Science Fiction Digest, May 15)
- “Snatching Bodies” by Rodrigo Fresán, translated from the Spanish by Will Vanderhyden (Three Percent, May 24)
- Future Fiction: New Dimensions in International Science Fiction, edited by Francesco Verso and Bill Campbell (Rosarium Publishing, May 1)
- Jonathan the Visionary by X. B. Saintine, translated from the French by Brian Stableford (Black Coat Press, May 1)
- The Second Life by X. B. Saintine,translated from the French by Brian Stableford (Black Coat Press,May 1)
- The Mysterious Hermit of the Tomb by Etienne-Léon de Lamothe-Langon, translated from the French by Brian Stableford (Black Coat Press, May 1)
- The Abolition of Species by Dietmar Dath, translated from the German by Samuel P. Willcox (DoppelHouse Press, May 8 [reprint, first time in paperback in English])
- The Bottom of the Sky by Rodrigo Fresán, translated by the Spanish by Will Vanderhyden (Open Letter Books, May 19)
- Season of Storms by Andrzej Sapkowski, translated from the Polish by David A. French (Orbit, May 22)
- Reviews of Short SFT in May by Daniel Haeusser
- “Another Word: Chinese Science Fiction Going Abroad—A Brief History of Translation” by Regina Kanyu Wang (Clarkesworld Magazine)
- General Links
If you have a question you’d like us to answer, feel free to shoot us a message on our contact page.