This week marks our first ever Torture Literature show. And you’re definitely in for a treat. We decided months and months ago that we would read and review Modelland by Tyra Banks. Why would we do this to ourselves? Because we think punishing ourselves is a great way to entertain all of you.
So sit back, turn on the episode, and enjoy!
Note: If you have iTunes and like this show, please give us a review on our iTunes page, or feel free to email us with your thoughts about the show!
Here’s the episode (show notes are below):
Episode 76 — Download (MP3)
Intro and Torture Cinema Meets Modelland by Tyra Banks (0:00 – 45:01)
Some extra goodies for you all:
And now some tweets (from Shaun)(read them from the bottom up):
- Also: having your 1st period in
#Modelland is superseded by how interested you are in your roommate’s toothbrush. Foh real.
- Staying on menstruation in
#Modelland — protagonist’s 1st period takes up less than 1pg. Because clearly it’s important for young girls.
- It’s apparently important to remind us that women naturally synch their menstrual cycles. Instantly in
#Modelland. Thanks, Tyra. GTK.
- Smart people in
#Modelland know algorithmic statistics (but never show it) and put together jigsaw puzzles w/ 30 pieces. Yeah…
- I’m glad someone is getting joy out of my
#Modelland troubles. @actuallyaisha Heaven knows I’m dying right now…
- Because calling something the Common Room would be too obvious, Tyra came up with UnCommon Room. *snort*
- I don’t think I can do this anymore.
#Modelland is so bad it’s actually giving me the shakes. And I can’t throw an ebook at the wall…
#Modelland doesn’t help with the reading experience. You end up focusing only on the really bad parts. Ugh.
- Apparently Yorkshire terriers exist in the world of
#Modelland, even though it’s not clear whether England does. #WorldbuildingGaps
- Not related to reading: Tim Tebow = most annoying football player since T.O. Like watching Jesus Camp over and over…and over…
- Let’s get one thing straight: Tyra Banks is not going to be a legitimate poet anytime soon…
#Modelland #awfulpoetry #Modelland Poetry Anthology: “Modelland is your new HOME / Welcome to the superDOME / For you XX-chromoSOMED / Modelland is your new home” #Modelland Dictionary — Mannecant (n): a servant to the BellaDonna of Modelland. Derived from servant (n) and mannequin (n). #eyeroll
- Mythology from
#Modelland: “Long, long ago, the battle raged between the Muses and the nail polish remover.” <–Actual quote…
- For some reason, becoming an Intoxibella (Tyra’s version of a super model with magic power) requires an obstacle course w/ fire
- The basic plot of
#Modelland is almost exactly like Harry Potter. Run the basics through your head, turn “wizards” into “models.” Done…
@Dhympna I’m reading it for @skiffyandfanty — We’re recording tonight. Torture Literature. First episode. Released tomorrow #Modelland
- If you guessed Bestosterone (the name of the academy) and ManAttack (the name of the class), you are correct.
- Can you guess the name of the male modeling academy in Modelland? How about one of its classes? Go on, guess.
- I really should have been tweeting about Modelland *while reading it.* Because this book is fucking awful…
That’s all, folks! Thanks for listening. See you next week.