Worldcon is coming! I want to bring The Skiffy and Fanty Show and the World SF Tour there this August. And I need your help raising the funds to travel to London to make this happen!
What is the World SF Tour?
Throughout 2014, The Skiffy and Fanty Show will focus much of its attention on science fiction and fantasy works from places outside of the United States. This will consist of interviews, movie discussions, the occasional Torture Cinema special, and discussions of World SF w/ locals. It’s a fairly large project, but it’s one I think is worthwhile. Additional details about the project can be found here.
What I’m Going to Do:Since Worldcon is in London this year, it’s far more likely that Worldcon’s attendance will be more international in scope. The main reason I want to bring the Skiffy and Fanty Show to Worldcon is to broaden the horizons of the World SF Tour by doing the following:
- Interview authors, fans, and critics from around the world about their work, their communities, and so on
- Interview industry professionals, such as publishers (big and small) and editors about the publishing industry in their home of origin
- Host “Walkby Sessions,” in which any Worldcon attendee can walk up and join a conversation (we had these at the last Worldcon, and they were pretty successful)
That means: more World SF Tour themed content and a much wider reach; the tour means a lot to me, so anything I can do to extend the reach, I’ll do it!
At last year’s Worldcon in San Antonio, we interviewed and discussed SF/F with a lot of folks (you can find those episodes here). I’d like to continue that this year.
Note: It’s possible we will also participate on panels, which will, I hope, have a World SF theme, though that’s still in the wind right now (schedules aren’t set, etc.).
What I need to raise and the deadline:
A kindly soul has already offered to house me for free (thank you so much, person who will not be named because I didn’t ask to name you), so what I need are traveling and “living” expenses. This comes out to the following:
- $1700 for the flight
- $185 for the Worldcon registration
- $150 for food (this is a rough estimate, as conversion rates and local food costs are hard to keep track of)
- $100 for additional transportation costs (train/underground mostly)
That means the total fundraising goal is roughly $2,200.
That’s no small sum, for sure, but if every listener donated just $10, I’d be well over the goal.
The deadline for all of this is April 28th, 2014. Why that date? My research says that the cost of plane tickets for international flights will start to go up roughly 4 months before the departure time. While I don’t anticipate a huge jump in price, I’ll be honest in saying I’d rather ask for less and spend less than wait until the last minute and need even many hundreds more.
As the fundraiser hits certain milestones, I’ll offer some perks related to The Skiffy and Fanty Show or general weirdness and hilarity. You know…to entice you. The following is a list of the milestones and their attending perks:
- $100 — one lucky donor will get to pick a historical period or moment to become an entry in the Encyclopedia Confictura
- $250 — one lucky donor will get to pick a classic work of SF/F for Paul Weimer to discuss in an upcoming “Mining the Asteroid” feature (examples of past posts can be found here)
- $500 — another lucky donor will get to pick a movie for an upcoming episode of Torture Cinema OR for a Shoot the WISB Segment (TV shows may also apply)
- $750 — two more lucky donors will get to pick another entry for the Encyclopedia Confictura
- $1000 — another lucky donor will get to pick a movie for an upcoming episode of Torture Cinema OR for a Shoot the WISB Segment (and you can be in it, too, if you want) (TV shows may also apply)
- $1250 — I’ll read an excerpt from another classic work of literature or philosophy as Captain America (post-government cutbacks)
- $1500 — two more lucky donors will get to pick another entry for the Encyclopedia Confictura
- $1750 — another lucky donor will get to pick a movie for an upcoming episode of Torture Cinema OR for a Shoot the WISB Segment (and you can be in it, too, if you want) (TV shows may also apply)
- $2000 — Mike Underwood will read an excerpt from a classic work of literature or philosophy as a beloved Muppet.
- $2200 — one lucky donor will get to pick the topic for our special “thanks for making this happen” episode (and you can be on it, too, if you want)
Note: Torture Cinema selections must fulfill the following criteria: 1) it is SF/F, broadly defined (supernatural horror qualifies); 2) it is not excessively gory or contains uncomfortable material; 3) it is, in your opinion, a crappy movie; and 4) it is a film we haven’t already reviewed (see the list here). If you’re unsure, ask.
WISB segment selections must fulfill the following criteria: 1) it is SF/F, broadly defined (supernatural horror qualifies); and 2) it is available on Netflix, Amazon Instant, or a related, reliable service.
Examples of Encyclopedia Confictura can be found here. The entries written for this fundraiser will be compiled into an ebook and given to all donors.
How to donate:
You can support my campaign by going to my GoFundMe page. You’ll find all of the same details there.