197. Mannequin (1987): A Torture Cinema “Adventure”

9 Apr

Artistic tomfoolery, Mannequin breasts, and 80s glory, oh my!  Shaun, Julia, and Jen join forces to tackle a listener-selected movie from hell:  Mannequin.  You asked for it, and we delivered!

We hope you enjoy the episode!

(Please support our efforts to bring the Skiffy and Fanty Show and the World SF Tour to Worldcon!  Every little bit helps.)

Note:  If you have iTunes and like this show, please give us a review on our iTunes page, or feel free to email us with your thoughts about the show!

Here’s the episode (show notes are below):

Episode 197 — Download (MP3)

Mannequin (1987)

Show Notes:

You can also support this podcast by signing up for a one month free trial at Audible.  Doing so helps us, gives you a change to try out Audible’s service, and brings joy to everyone.

Our new intro music is “Time Flux” by Revolution Void (CC BY 3.0).

That’s all, folks!  Thanks for listening.  See you next week.

Advertisements

12 Responses to “197. Mannequin (1987): A Torture Cinema “Adventure””

1. scottbrowng April 12, 2014 at 11:04 pm #

Please do Plan 9 from Outer Space. It’s the worst movie ever and cries for your attention, thank you.

• shaunduke April 12, 2014 at 11:10 pm #

It’s on our list. However, if you really want to make sure we do it, you can support the Worldcon fundraiser. Some of the perks involve a random donor getting to choose a Torture Cinema ep. Otherwise, you’ll just have to hope the darn thing pops up on a poll one of these days 🙂 (we randomize the list for each poll).

2. Paul Weimer April 16, 2014 at 11:49 am #

No, no…Kim Cattrall wasn’t transported from Ancient Egypt directly to the 20th century. She’s been living *since* Ancient Egypt, usually in the form of a Mannequin (she talks about being the Muse for Michelangelo, for example).

I’m not going to defend this movie strenously, though, although the idea of a “response” mp3 minisode amuses me. Interested?

• shaunduke April 16, 2014 at 2:39 pm #

Paul, I love you, man, but I hate this movie so much that I’d rather have wood splinters shoved under my nails before I watch or discuss this movie again. But if you want to do a response episode, you’re free to do so and send me the mp3 for posting 😛

• Paul Weimer April 16, 2014 at 2:59 pm #

I remember liking this movie…when I was young and had the hots for Kim Cattrall. Seeing it again…might bring the suck fairy.

• shaunduke April 19, 2014 at 12:34 pm #

Cattrall is absolutely gorgeous in this, but it is a train wreck of a film…

3. Michael Budd April 29, 2014 at 11:58 pm #

Duke, why did you use the misanthropic term “mansplaining” in your opening sketch to this? I thought your podcast tried to have an attitude of equality across genders, and that term does nothing but lower the level of discourse, and make the person using it sound hateful.

• shaunduke April 30, 2014 at 3:13 pm #

Considering the term appears in an absurd comedy sketch meant as a rejoinder to the horrid mess that is Mannequin, I’m not sure I see your point. It was never intended as “a discourse.” It was always just us making fun of a movie by reversing the overt sexism in favor of an absurd alternative. Indeed, all of our skits are absurd, filthy, and utterly ridiculous.

• shaunduke April 30, 2014 at 3:20 pm #

Even so, “mansplaining” is not explicitly misanthropic. It’s a term that describes a particular type of behavior engaged in by men when confronted by charges of sexism.

• Michael Budd April 30, 2014 at 3:35 pm #

Then where is the reverse gender version of the word? Where’s the term for when a woman explains something to a man because she wouldn’t expect him to understand it due to social norms of what men versus women know about?

• shaunduke April 30, 2014 at 3:55 pm #

1) While there is a reverse form, I am not familiar with its usage — just its existence.
        2) The reverse form of the term isn’t necessary, mostly because we already live in a culture where certain behaviors are already gendered. Unfortunately, these situations usually involve sexism, too, but not on the part of women. Additionally, situations where it is obvious a woman is doing what you’re saying are not tied to an institutionalize form of anti-man sexism; therefore, it does not have the same power as the inverse, and is more often associated with rude behavior (unfortunately, genderized rude behavior). I’m also not personally a fan of “mansplaining,” as I think it’s used too often to dismiss people. I do understand why it was created, though.
        3) Why does this matter in this context? It’s a comedy skit, not a literal, proper usage of the term. As a feminist, I am perfectly comfortable making fun of the things that people who agree with me believe in, and terminology can be one of those things.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Top 10 Episodes and Blog Posts for May 2014 | The Skiffy and Fanty Show - May 5, 2014

[…] 197. Mannequin (1987): A Torture Cinema “Adventure” […]