Episode 95 — The Hunger Games RaceFail, Black Superheroes, and Google Glasses

9 Apr

It’s time for some controversy!  This week, Jen and I talk about the “shock” over casting black people in The Hunger Games, why we need more black superheroes, and Google’s new super geek item of the year (which isn’t an April Fool’s joke, apparently).  Feel free to drop in with your thoughts!

We hope you enjoy the episode!

Note:  If you have iTunes and like this show, please give us a review on our iTunes page, or feel free to email us with your thoughts about the show!

Here’s the episode (show notes are below):

Episode 95 — Download (MP3)

Intro and Discussion (0:00 – 33:12)

Our new intro music is “Time Flux” by Revolution Void (CC BY 3.0).

That’s all, folks!  Thanks for listening.  See you next week.

Advertisements

7 Responses to “Episode 95 — The Hunger Games RaceFail, Black Superheroes, and Google Glasses”

1. Paul Weimer (@PrinceJvstin) April 11, 2012 at 1:23 pm #

I do think that this episode of Skiffy and Fanty could just as easily have wound up on your other podcast.

That doesn’t make it any less valuable a conversation, though, for genre to have.

Have you seen this thread on Tor.com?

• shaunduke April 16, 2012 at 4:21 pm #

Paul,
      I haven’t seen that link. Thanks for bringing it to our attention 🙂

What makes our discussion less Skiffy and Fanty -ish? I’m curious because we consider ourselves heavily embedded in SF/F as a community/culture/thing, so if we’re coming off as outsiders or some such, we’d like to correct that.

• Loopdilou (@LoopdiLou) April 17, 2012 at 4:04 pm #

I don’t think Paul was saying it was necessarily less Skiffy and Fanty-ish, just that it also tackled issues that are relevant outside the genre as well as within. 🙂

• Loopdilou (@LoopdiLou) April 17, 2012 at 4:12 pm #

Excellent proposal! As a long time D&D fan… it would be about damn time!!

2. juliancan April 16, 2012 at 1:42 pm #

This episode was so depressing that I actually had to stop doing homework (yes, I am a kid) and sob a little. This overt racist rant over the Hunger Games cast was just… I don’t know how to describe it, really. All I can say is that I’m ashamed of my peers’ reaction regarding this ‘colour’ issue.

Gah, I can’t just wrap my head around it!

• shaunduke April 16, 2012 at 4:20 pm #

I think we’re all a little ashamed, to be honest. It’s a rather pathetic showing within the community…

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. It’s not so sad now I know she’s black… | All Things Moorehawke and Otherwise - April 20, 2012

[…] thanks, btw to The Skiffy and Fanty Show for their discussion of this issue, which was where I first heard the above quote.  Share this:FacebookStumbleUponTwitterLike […]