The Skiffy and Fanty Show 6: Scifi, Moonings, and Scott-ish Aliens

21 Jun

Episode #6 marks our first attempt at trying to define science fiction.  Plus, we talk about Ridley Scott’s new Alien movies, the death of the rejection letter and the future of publishing, and much more!

Note: This episode is a day late. I had a particularly terrible day yesterday, so don’t scream at me too much.

Question of the week:  If you could change one part of your body into a robot part, which would it be and why?  Feel free to email your answers to skiffyandfanty [at] gmail [dot] com or send us a voicemail at 206-203-1686!  You can also leave a comment here or follow us on twitter.  We’d love to hear your creative responses!

Here’s the episode (show notes are below):

Episode Six — Download (MP3)

Intro (0:00 – 14:20):

News (14:21 – 30:35):

Main Event (30:36 – 1:10:00)

The End (1:10:01 – 1:14:56)

That’s all, folks! Thanks for listening!

Advertisements

13 Responses to “The Skiffy and Fanty Show 6: Scifi, Moonings, and Scott-ish Aliens”

1. Loopdilou June 22, 2010 at 2:19 am #

*beats Shaun with a spoon* Science Fiction does NOT HAVE TO BE IN THE FUTURE! So there.

• shaunduke June 22, 2010 at 10:49 am #

You’ve been wrong before, friend. Many many many times before.

2. Loopdilou June 22, 2010 at 5:47 pm #

I would replace my left eye with a robotic eye. My decision is primarily due to the fact that I am currently legally blind in my left eye, so it’s an easy body part to sacrifice to new technology. However, it would also just be damn cool. Night vision? Check. Telescopic vision? Check. Recording capabilities? Of course. Surf the web? Hellz to the yah. I’m sure there are a cajillion other spiffy things one could do with a bionic eye, but to be honest I would be happy with something that made me not blind… with depth perception.

• shaunduke June 23, 2010 at 12:11 am #

I didn’t know you were legally blind in your left eye…or did I? I should know that already, shouldn’t I? It sounds familiar all of a sudden…

So, a new eyeball for you. Got it. They have them, by the way…

• Loopdilou June 23, 2010 at 12:54 pm #

Yes, you probably should have known that/did know that, but it’s easy to forget because you can’t see that I’m blind. My eye still tracks as if it could see.

And yes, I know they have them (but they’re not cool enough yet). I’m officially volunteering myself for all experiments involving bionic eyes.

3. weirdside June 22, 2010 at 10:29 pm #

Kajillion is spelled with a k.

• shaunduke June 23, 2010 at 12:12 am #

Are you sure?

• Loopdilou June 23, 2010 at 12:56 pm #

Since neither version is technically a real word – both spellings are ultimately acceptable 😛

4. weirdside June 23, 2010 at 3:38 pm #

Nope, it’s with a K. So decrees Lord of Neologisms

5. Anon June 23, 2010 at 7:25 pm #

Peter Watts is from Toronto. And part of the reason it was a big deal that he can’t come to the US (other than all those flights to other continents that connect in the US) is that he has a very elderly (in his 90’s, IIRC) in the US, so if the father gets too sick to travel, he may never see him again.

• shaunduke June 24, 2010 at 11:37 pm #

Thanks for the info. That really sucks something awful. I hope some solution can be found…

6. Anon June 23, 2010 at 7:26 pm #

Very elderly father, I meant.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. A Gift From the Culture by Iain M. Banks « MentatJack - July 10, 2010

[…] defined by boundary conditions is like defining a utopia only by the things that make it desirable. Science fiction is NOT all set in the future and it’s those wonderful exceptions to that and other standard boundary conditions that draw […]